Friday, December 16, 2011

Music and why it is the biggest thing in my life

Music. Many of us have different feelings and associations about what it is. People love music, they relax to it, they use it to get through the day. For me, music serves so many important functions. It keeps me sane. Not only do I enjoy music for many of the same reasons that other people do, but it is directly proportional to my being happy. Let me explain why.

I am prone to negative thinking. It is a terrible habit and one I am always plagued by. Do you know how you can tell you're thinking negatively? By your mood. It's as simple as that- if you feel lousy, you're thinking to yourself harmfully. Time and time again I have proven this to myself. By the same token, if you feel great, you are thinking great things. Sounds simple doesn't it? Yet fixing the problem is a lot tougher than describing it. Here is the key to it all- the human brain can only focus on ONE THING AT A TIME. This cannot be disproven. And this is where music comes in.

When I sing and play my guitar, I cannot be in a bad mood. I can only focus on one thing at a time, and if I am singing lyrics or strumming those chords, I cannot focus on being in a bad mood. Music also changes your brain waves- it has a calming effect. Nect time you are having trouble sleeping, lay down with a pair of headphones and listen to some calming music. You will be asleep in no time. It works EVERY TIME for me.

I wish I could bring my acoustic with me wherever I go, but that is just not possible. The next best thing is the iPod. I have to allow music to fill my life at every turn. My father gave me my love of music and that is a gift I will never be able to repay.

One of my greatest dreams in life is to be able to gather in a darkened pub with great friends and just play music and laugh until 4 in the morning. That's my nirvana. Music and laughter...... imagine how awesome that would make you feel.

In the meantime, I'll continue to play and sing. When I feel blue and crabby, I'll reach for the one thing that I know will make me feel better-my guitar. Jimmy Buffett said it best when he wrote a song entitled " Tonight I Just Need My Guitar." That's all I need too. And if I'm successful at other things along the way, so be it. But you can bet that the success will be traced back to the singing and playing.

Keep the rafters ringing.

No comments:

Post a Comment