Monday, April 19, 2021

Red Gendron (1957-2021)

 The world of college hockey lost a giant of a man on April 9th with the passing of Dennis (Red) Gendron, head men's ice hockey coach at the University of Maine. I was out for a walk that day when I received a text message from Mike Machnik, my radio partner at Merrimack, informing me that Red had left us. Red passed at age 63, on a golf course in Maine. I naturally was shocked and saddened to hear this. 

How do you describe the life of a man who was so full and rich? It's not an easy thing to do. But for sure Red's life was one to be celebrated. He was a genius of a man. He was so well read, so well versed in everything. He could have easily won a lot of money on Jeopardy if he ever would have competed. And he wanted to share that knowledge- rumor has it that he'd quiz people on subjects. 

When it came to hockey, Red's pedigree spoke for itself. He had his name engraved on the Stanley Cup- twice- with the New Jersey Devils organization, and coached pretty much everywhere. He made his mark in Hockey East, with UMass and then of course Maine. One of the things I loved about Red was his storytelling ability. He would have been a terrific baseball broadcaster. Red had been in so many places and visited so many towns he could regale you. Many's the night we talked to him and he had a great story to tell. I remember the time I told him that my wife and I visited Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor. I told him where we visited and he amplified the story by telling us his experiences of his times there. It made me want to go back, and we are going back for the 4th of July. 

Which brings me to my favorite Red Gendron story. We were up in Orono for a weekend series against the Black Bears. Friday and Saturday night games. On the first night, I got to the arena and was setting up the radio equipment. Usually I do that first and then we go and visit with the opposing coach. (On a trip like this, I'll usually interview our coach in the hotel after the pregame meal). During the set-up for the Friday game I was grappling with some technical difficulties at Alfond Arena- I was having difficulty securing an Internet connection. Before we go and talk to the coaches, I like to insist that the set-up be completely ready, so I don't have to deal with it when we come back from the interview. It was getting to be time to go talk to Red, but I wasn't ready with the equipment set-up. So I told Mike to go on ahead and talk to Red  without me while I solved the problem, and that I would sit in with him prior to the game the next night. 

Fast forward to Saturday. Of course, now, the Internet problem is solved because now my computer automatically connects from the night before. So after setting up the equipment, I now accompany Mike to visit Red prior to Saturday night's game. Keep in mind that I had never met Red before. This was his first season at Maine. So we walk into Red's office. Red greets Mike and then he looks at me. "Nice of you to join us, what was the matter last night, you couldn't #*@!$ come by last night? " I was stunned- for a moment I didn't know what to say or do. I felt my face getting flushed. I don't always have the best responses to conflict, and I started to think that this might not go too well for me. Then, almost instantaneously, and probably sensing my discomfort, Red broke into a big smile and extended his hand to me. That was it- our friendship began right there. 

I remember telling Red about my Dad and his Alzheimer's diagnosis. He was genuinely concerned and provided me with emotional support. He genuinely cared about people, and I've read many times that as much as Red cared about his hockey teams, and particularly his team at Maine, he was more concerned with ensuring that his players became better people. That was so important to him. 

Red passed away in between games of the Frozen Four. I was moved by Coach Greg Carvel's thoughts about him, and I just know Red was smiling down on the Minutemen as they captured their first championship. 

My thoughts are with Red's family, Maine hockey, and every one who knew and loved him. From Boston to Berlin, NH, to Orono, the world is a sadder place without him. Next time we visit Orono, he will cross out minds and it won't be the same. I am a better man for having known him. Rest in Peace, Coach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment